Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Kingston and The Magical wonder of SSDs

There is a problem gripping the world of computing and the world of gaming, and it is one that I feel I finally need to address.  In the drive for bigger and better somehow a large compromise has been made, and it is one I feel finally needs addressing.  I own a laptop and will gladly put in 8GB of RAM, tweak every setting available, and run only the programs that I need.  I own a PS3 fat and slim, and keep a bit of music on there, but can't seem to get my download times to anything less than atrocious.  In my quest for efficiency there is an oversight.  I haven't made the most obvious upgrade...I haven't added an SSD. Some people question me on that fact because they know I am an avid supporter of technology, and especially brands that I believe in (see the title!).  The advantages far outweigh anything imaginable, but being the perpetual procrastinator that I am has reared it's ugly head yet again.

Various internet formus have discussed the full advantages of installing an SSD in your laptop, desktop, or gaming system, and I would hate to call them wrong, because that would make me a liar.  So you want to cut load times in half on a PS3?  Sign me up!  Wait!!  You mean that all I have to do is add an SSD to my PS3 and problem solved?  Why haven't I done this already?!  I NEED more battery life out of my laptop, but every tweak in the world will only squeeze out seconds, and I want MINUTES.  I want sizable gains that are noticeable to the average consumer.  Slap in an SSD and get these very gains.  I admit that I could go the ultraportable route, with an SSD as well, but I enjoy gaming on my computer, and my eyesight is horrible on an 11" screen.
The pros of owning an SSD far outweigh any cons (price, smaller HD size) because there are so many options to overcoming these.  Everyone has a viable solution to overcoming any of these obstacles, such as external hard drives or deal hunting sites like slickdeals.net.  I guess it's time to quit making excuses and start making some plans.  My new laptop arrives on Friday, and I'm thinking this weekend is as good as any to do what I have waited far too long to get done.
Speed Up Your PS3 With SSD
Why the "Limitations" of SSDs are Good
Move Cahe to RAM Disk to Reduce Wear on SSD

No comments:

Post a Comment