Friday, February 4, 2011

Dude...You're getting a Dell!!

  For all of the crap that I have heard over the years about how Dell makes good products but GREAT excuses, I have to say that I have done my best top avoid them.  Being from Texas I have wanted to purchase a product made by a company from my hone state, but once Compaq became HP, all that was left was The House of Michael.  "For the money you can find a better product with much better customer service."  Well, for everyone with these thoughts, I have just one word to describe my experience: WRONG!!

  I went about ordering an Inspiron 15R with a coupon that I had which would have set me up with the exact system I wanted for the price of a lesser system through some other companies "deals".  The order processed through, and my new computer was on its way.  All was well, right up until the curiosity hit me.  "i wonder if they have a 17" for a reasonable price?"  Reasonable? How about $17 more?  Now what could I do?  My order was due to arrive that very afternoon when I came across a fantastic deal on a 17" Inspiron with a great processor and dedicated graphics card.  Let's try calling Dell and seeing what they can do.
  Before I tell you the conversation, let me tell you that I am the kind of person who ALWAYS looks to make sure that I got the best deal.  And then I shop around during my return period to make sure that a better deal doesn't come up.  I don't make my purchases without some serious thought, because I am not flush with cash.  We are incredibly frugal, as anyone who has read  my lovely wife's blog can attest.  This purchase isn't an extravagance, but a necessity in a modern digital age.
  "Thank you for calling Dell, how may I assist you?"  I have a small problem.  I bought a 15" model laptop and just found an equivalent deal on a 17" model.  Is there anything we can do to get the 17" into my hot little hands?  "Absolutely.  Has the 15" model arrived yet?"  It should be here in an hour or so.  "Let's go ahead and process through your return, with absolutely no restocking fee, and get the 17" one ordered and on it's way."  Seriously, Dell!?  You had me at "Great Freaking Deal" and then have to go and sweeten the pot.
  Perhaps my situation isn't as common as others, but maybe it is.  Not every customer experience can be bad, and the ones that are are rarities that get talked about more.  For every good experience you will tell 4 people, and for every bad one you will tell 10!  There are a lot of people who bad mouth Dell because of someone else's bad experiences, but I can say with 100% certainty that when it comes to me and my choices, the little stoner kid had it right: Dude, you're getting a Dell!

No comments:

Post a Comment